About Us

founders

Sorority History

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is a, non-profit organization whose purpose is to provide assistance and support through established programs in local communities throughout the world.

Founded on January 13, 1913 by twenty-two collegiate women at Howard University, the Sorority is currently a sisterhood of more than 200,000 predominately Black college educated women. This includes over 900 chapters located in the United States, England, Japan (Tokyo and Okinawa), Germany, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Republic of Korea.

The major programs of the sorority are based upon the organization’s Five-Point Programmatic Thrust:

1. Economic Development

2. Physical and Mental Health

3. Educational Development

4. Political Awareness and Involvement

5. International Awareness and Involvement

For more information, visit our national website at www.deltasigmatheta.org

Chapter History

The history of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. commends the spirit and the imagination of the 22 college women who founded one beloved sorority on January 13, 1913.

It was with similar spirit and imagination that during the late 30's, dedicated sorors of DST worked laboriously toward the establishment of a chapter to serve the city of Tyler. These sorors were Bessie Davis Randall, Nanette Wheatley Williams, Mildred Jones Baker, Lenora Amos, and Lillian Uggams. In 1940, Martha Hunter joined in the efforts.

During the interim of the Chapter's establishment, Sorors Pearl Robinett and Nona Moffatt were initiated by the Dallas Chapter, and Sorors Lillie Mae Givens, Geneva Smith Taliaferro and others were initiated into the Alpha Iota Chapter of Wiley College.

In 1942, Founder Myra Davis Hemmings conducted the establishment of Gamma Epsilon Chapter (presently Tyler Alumnae) of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Initiated were Effie B. Austin, Harriett Darnell, Katie A Stewart, and Nora Cecil McDaniel.

The first initial program of Gamma Epsilon was held at the Texas College auditorium, Sunday evening, Novemeber 15, 1942, at 6:30 p. m.

Gamma Epsilon, a mixed chapter (undergraduate/graduate), was reorganized in 1946 as Gamma Epsilon Sigma, a graduate chapter. In 1958, it became Tyler Alumnae Chapter.

 

Gamma Epsilon Charter- November 5, 1942

1946 - Gamma Epsilon Sigma

1958- Tyler Alumnae

First Officers:

President- Bessie Davis-Randall

Vice President - Mildred Jones- Baker

Secretary- Erlyne J. Johnson

Asst. Secretary- Ruby Dawson

Treasurer- Nona Stein- Moffatt

Sergeant at Arms - Marie McIntyre

Reporter - Bernice Smith

 

 

 

Charter Members

Lenora Y. Amos

Willie B. Anderson

Effie B. Austin

Dorothy Corruthers

Erlene Crouch

Harriet G. Darnell

Ora Mae Drawhorn

Ida Durham

Lillie Mae Givens

Joyceim P. Goss

Martha B. Hunter

Margaret Jones

Naomi I. Jones

Nora C. McDaniel

Pearl R. Robinett

Florine Rucker

Katie A. Stewart

Geneva Taliaferro

Thiery Toilette

Lillian J. Uggams

Lela Mae White

Nannett W. Williams

Marjorie Wilson

Current Officers

President                                                                 Denise Pendleton

Vice President                                                              Jonique Morris

Recording Secretary                                                   Leora Coleman

Corresponding Secretary                                           Alyce Randle

Financial Secretary                                                    Dorothy Jackson

Assistant Financial Secretary                                  Marchetta Macon

Treasurer                                                                      Lisia Hampton

Historian                                                                       Kathy Cannon

Journalist                                                                     Jasmine Warren

Keeper of Properties                                                  Sonya Taylor